About 12 years ago, when my daughter first began dancing competitively, I made her a ribboned memory board for her room. It was perfect for displaying ribbons, pins, photos etc from the competitions. Over the past decade, the board has collected so much memorabilia, I am surprised it can stay on the wall.
Here is the state it is in now.
After I made this one, she and I made several more to give to her friends as Christmas gifts. Instead of cork, which is expensive, I used a product called Homasote. It comes in 4 ft x 8 ft sheets from a building centre. Builders use it to sound proof walls. It’s relatively light and soft enough to allow the use of pushpins.
Here is the one in my office:
It is 48″ x 36″ and I love it! ( I won’t be sharing the state of the desk below this any time soon! It looks like my office was ransacked by burglars!
At the end of August, my lovely daughter moved to Kingston, Ontario to begin her new adventures at Queen’s University. Miss Nice is not overly sentimental so I was surprised when she asked me if I would make her another memory board. And two of her friends wanted one too. They do have bulletin boards over their desks but they wanted something “pretty”.
I realized I had a problem and could not make them the way I normally did. You see, the walls in her residence / dorm room are cinder block so no nails can be added. Although the Homasote is light, it would most likely be too heavy for a Command Strip. So I needed to put on my thinking cap.
Michaels just happened to be having a sale on canvases in a 2 pack. So I picked up four 18″ x 24″ Then, I dropped by Dollarama, where I knew I could get two 12″ cork tiles for $2.00. I had the rest of the supplies already. I have so much fabric stashed away as well as quilting batting, ribbon and boxes of the nice upholstery tacks. I picked up the stash of ribbon 12 years ago when a large Canadian craft store chain went out of business. Why I bought so much is beyond me. Perhaps another sign of OCD 😉
Here are most of my supplies. (Note: there are NO affiliation links in this post. Just links to products I used).
Here is the process I used:
- I glued the cork to the front of the stretched canvas using a general purpose white wood glue. I had to cut some of the cork pieces to make it fit. I needed three squares of cork for each board
- Using spray adhesive, I attached a layer of quilting batting to the cork. This will make the board look more tufted.
- After cutting and ironing the cream on cream damask table cloth fabric I had, I covered each of the boards by stapling the fabric to the back of the wooden frame with my power staple gun.
- Then I measured out where the ribbons would go on each edge and marked the spot with a straight pin. I had the ribbon meet at FOUR spots on each side. I attached the ends of the ribbon to the back with the staple gun.
- Finally, where each ribbon crossed, I added an upholstery tack as well as tacks along the outside edges.
Voila! Three very light-weight memory boards. It took me about 3 hours.
Canvases: 2 for $16 x 2 = $32 — I still have one canvas leftover so the real cost is $24
Cork: 2 for $2 x 5 +=$10 (I have one cork square left)
Fabric, Ribbon, Tacks, Glue and Staples = $0
Each board cost less than $12. Bargain!
However, the Command Strips were $6 each!!
Regardless the girls were thrilled and Miss Nice’s board looked pretty in her room. Howeverm it did look small on her long empty wall.
What I would do differently is:
- use a far bigger canvas
- make the diamonds larger
Other than that, I loved the way they turned out. Homasote does warp a bit but these frames are nice and square.