I have realized have not posted the finished vintage secretary desk my client wanted updated with paint a few months ago.
She initially told me I could to do whatever I wanted to it! ” I trust you!” Yikes!
Many of you reading this might think this would be fun and a time to be super creative and step out of the box but I didn’t feel that way. Then when it was dropped off, I saw it was a super cute and unique piece and had to double check if she really wanted me to paint it.
This vintage desk was in excellent shape and the top had cubbyholes covered with cute little doors with windows. I loved the hardware too.
Being a chicken and not wanting to go mad with this piece, I used Photoshop, to create some crude mock ups of various colours. Here is the post. In the end, she chose grey but a paler shade. Whew … knowing the colour was a relief.
She also said she did not want a distressed look. With all the detail on the piece I would have been inclined to go that route.
I wanted to leave the top wood with a dark stain. I like the look of wood and paint together. I had planned on using a stain and poly combo to do the top so I proceeded to paint the body of the desk first. WRONG! When I started on the top, I realized my plan was flawed and I really needed to strip it down. The top being veneer meant I did not want to do too much sanding.
Stripping the top was a bit problematic as some of the solution got on the paint and … well you know. I had to do some repairs to the paint. SO ANNOYING but totally my fault. After the top was stripped of its original finish, a nice grain was was revealed.
I cleaned up the hardware and used a COPPER coloured spray paint. Something a little different but it tied into the final stained colour of the top.
Although I loved the dark wood, the final updated version is so much more fresh and bright.
I love the copper coloured hardware and the walnut stained top. Even without distressing or glazing, the details still pop.
To keep it bright, I painted the cubbyholes a creamy white. With the white interior, you can now see the pattern on the glass doors.
In the end, I think both the client and I are happy we collaborated on this. You see, I was considering painting it RED or ROYAL BLUE with a dark glaze and some distressing. Regardless, I LOVE this final outcome.