When a client dropped off an old toy box her son had outgrown and asked me to “do something” with it, I was a bit apprehensive to say the least! It was the cutest toy chest with Nursery Rhyme scenes painted on each panel. But like my client, I know there is a time when the nursery rhyme stuff is OVER. I was pleased with her confidence in my creative ability but I really wasn’t sure what to do with it!
Luckily, she later sent me pictures of the rooms where the box might become a coffee table.
After looking at them, I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to try.
For ages, I have wanted to try my hand at a Union Jack. I loved what Alison over at ReFunk My Junk did to an old trunk and I used her design as my inspiration.
The toy chest needed quite a bit of preparation. The client had added texture on her vignettes: clouds and wool on sheep etc. And may I say again …SO CUTE!
I stripped off the textured paint with a paint stripper then I proceeded to sand down the rest of the piece to a smooth finish. I primed it using my new Home-right Paint sprayer (NO affliation). It was one of the first projects where I used the paint sprayer and it literally took a couple of minutes! After the primer dried, I sprayed the chest with an off white, Navajo White from BM. (All my trim and ceilings are this colour). I allowed it to dry a day or two and then I taped it up as per Alison’s design.
To ensure a tight seal, I brushed a coat of the off white over all the tape edges. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT FOR A CRISP LINE!
Starting with a sample pot of a bright red, I mixed it with some burgundy paint, both of which I had on hand. This created a lovely deep red to work with. I purchased a litre of SW Seaworthy. (I have plans for the leftover paint. . Using the printed photo as a guide, I applied two coats of the colors.
When I removed the tape, I cannot tell you how excited I was! I just loved it!
I also added a couple of coats of Water Soluble, non- yellowing Diamond finish by Varathane. (No affiliate)
Finally, to make it moveable and more “industrial”, I added 4 small caster wheels.
A mutual friend picked up the chest and dropped it off at the client’s home for me. I seriously believe I could hear the client’s squeals of delight all the way across the city!
Don’t you love when some an attempt at a new design turns out perfectly!