The Liebester Award is an amazingly exciting and fun award being passed around to smaller/newer sites around the blogosphere. I am SOoooo excited and thankful to have received the nomination from from the talented sisters, Jodie and Paige at Sypsie Designs. This honour has made my week!
How it works is fun and simple:
- Thank the blogger who presented you with the Liebster Award, and link back to his or her blog.
- Answer the questions from the nominator; list 11 random facts about yourself, and create 11 questions for your nominees.
- Present the Liebster Award to several other bloggers, who have blogs with 200 followers or less, whom you feel deserve to be noticed. Leave a comment on the blogs letting the owners know they have been chosen.
- Upload the Liebster Award image to your blog.
Here are the questions I was asked…
1. Why did you decide to start a blog?
I would have to say Pinterest was a huge influence. Before Pinterest, I thought bloggers mostly wrote about social issues or relationships. After discovering Pinterest, I entered the world of DIYers. Having always been a “hands on” kind of person whether it be decorating, sewing, woodworking, cooking, gardening and more, I was so inspired to do more projects. In particular, painting and re-upholstering vintage furniture. Friends and family suggested I set up a side business to sell items and perhaps get commissions. But how to start?How about a blog? Earlier this year, I set up a website and social media accounts for a charity I am involved in. I enjoyed the process and learned so much. In the summer, it seemed natural to launch a blog. It’s only 3 months old!
2. What is your greatest influence/inspiration for your posts? (Pinterest, a specific blog, family, random objects… anything!)
As I said in #1, Pinterest is probably my biggest influence.As for blogs I follow, there are so many I love! I particularly like bloggers who also update furniture like Blue Egg Brown Nest, Three Mango Seeds, Maryann’s blogs Domestically Speaking and the Power of Paint. I love Roadkill Rescue because I seem to also pick up trash LOL.I am also heavily influenced by Vintage furniture pieces. It amazes and inspires me how paint and upholstery make a dark drab piece POP! with detail and beauty. Making the end result “Nicer than New”!
3. If you could be any animal, what would it be and why?
This may sound strange but I would like to be an elephant! Elephants are fascinating to me. Their lifespan and rate of maturity is very similar to humans. They also are able to express emotions like empathy, sadness, joy, etc. But what I would like to have is their apparent telepathy abilities. And I wouldn’t hurt to be a vegetarian! 🙂
4. What is your favorite post you’ve completed to date?
I love sharing my projects but I would have to say my post about my visit to the St. Lawrence Antique Market in downtown Toronto was the most fun! It was a beautiful Sunday morning and the fall colours were beginning to change. I was a tourist in my own city and I saw so many cool items that I shared on my blog.
5. Your favorite store to shop at is…
It would be a toss-up between Home Depot and HomeSense. Both great but for different reasons. But in the final analysis, it has to be HomeSense!
6. If your life were a movie, what actress or actor would play your character?
This one is easy! It would have to be Julia Louis-Dreyfus! When Seinfeld came on the air, a good friend in another city specifically called me to demand I seek compensation for the fact Elaine had stolen my identity!
7. What is your top blogging goal for 2014?
Nicer Than New has really come a long way since September and it is all so encouraging. Who knew? My goal for 2014 is to grow my blog and its visitors to the point where I can become involved in reviewing products and interacting more with other bloggers. In particular, I want to grow my Canadian followers. Currently, they constitute a very small percentage of my visitors.
8. What’s your favorite town/city in the world?
Hands down my favourite city is Paris. A couple of years ago, my family spent a week there, staying in a rented apartment in the Latin Quarter. I so want to return and spend a month or more soaking up the culture and improving my French. (Not all Canadians are bi-lingual).
9. What’s your favorite room in your house and why?
My most favourite room is our family room in the lower level of our home. About 6 years ago, we renovated this area transforming it from a nice big space that looked like a throw back to the 70s to a sleek, clean 21st century look. Some day, I will share but for now, let me say our family room is huge with a full size snooker table (as in 6ft by 12 ft), a big screen TV, a bar / server area and lots of space. Best of all, it is a “walk out” to a gorgeous ravine lot. Before the reno, the room made me sad and now, even after several years it makes me smile and feel proud to share!
10. If you were a fabric pattern, what would you be and why?
I love to be busy but I also like structure and organization. I could not be an abstract and I could not be plain. So, I would have to say I would be a trellis pattern. Timeless, busy yet structured.
Now 10 Random Things About Me!
- I am Canadian and I don’t like hockey and I am not fluent in French
- I love power tools
- I wear Birkenstock sandals at home instead of slippers
- I have been with my husband longer than I have not been with him.
- I skipped Grade 2
- I grew up on a farm in southwestern Ontario and I had a pet cow named “Tame-ee”
- The people at Domino’s pizza know everyone in our family by name
- I love to read and recently realized I am a closet Sci-Fi fan (just finished devouring Margaret Atwood’s “Oryx and Crake”)
- I am a certified accountant with a B. Ed. degree in Adult Education and a M.A. and I have had 4 distinct careers to date.
- Without L’Oreal, I would be a “grey fox”
- I have a cupboard in my kitchen that contains 56 cookbooks not to mention folders of recipes
Now I Get to Nominate a few Bloggers!
(Note: I checked Bloglovin’ and Facebook to determine if these blogs had less than 200 followers)
And here are my questions…
- Why did you decide to start blogging?
- What is your most memorable vacation destination?
- What is your favourite quick go-to recipe?
- Choose a movie or record album you like and tell us why?
- What is your favourite blog post you have completed to date?
- If you were dropped off on a deserted island and you could only have three items with you what would they be and why?
- What is your most prized possession?
- If you were reborn as an animal, what would it be and why?
- What is the best book you have read in the past 5 years and why?
- If weight was a non issue, what’s one thing you would eat every day?
- What are your future plans or goals for blogging?
You may find me linking at these great parties.
Not every week and not all of them. Be sure to watch for me!